Make A Suggestion

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Need help finding something?

Flooding Permitting

Share this page

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Flooding Project Permitting Information

You will likely need permits for work on the shoreline or in the water. Depending on what and where the project is, you may need local, state, and/or federal permits.

Even if you are doing something that helps improve habitat, you will likely need some type of permit, or at least formal permission from a regulatory authority, before you undertake your effort.


Coastal Flooding Project Local Government Environmental Programs

Why Do You Need Permits?

Permits are required to protect water quality, shorelines, fish, and wildlife. Even projects whose goal is to improve the shoreline or habitat may have unintended consequences. Applying for a permit allows for review to make sure impacts will be positive. This review may also improve your project, making it more effective.

Coastal Flooding Project Streamlined Permitting

Streamlined Permitting

Many local, state, and federal government agencies have worked to streamline the permit process for projects that improve the shoreline. Still, the permit process may be complex, expensive, and time-consuming.

Contact your local city, township, county or state government as a first step.

This will help you find out what permits you may need. You will likely want to contact the environmental services, planning, or zoning division.

Coastal Restoration Flooding Government Permitting

Local Government & Permitting

How to find your local government:

To find your local, state, or tribal governments, type the following into a search engine: your state/county and then the type of agency you are wanting to connect with (e.g. local government, tribal representative, state government). For example, search for “Alabama beach restoration permitting” or “New Jersey environmental protection.” Also, try using terms that relate to your concern or solution. For example, “Florida coastal flooding help.”  Try different terms, or combinations of, terms, such as “grants, restoration, invasive species, marsh, natural resources, volunteers, funding, etc.” It may take a few tries to find the site and information you are looking for.

To find a specific local county office, type the following into a search engine: your local county or city and then the department you are wanting to connect with (e.g. environmental, planning, natural resources). For example, search for  “Escambia County coastal management” or  “Destin FL natural resources.”

Examples of Needed Permits

Local permits may be required for work that affects the shoreline and/or water quality. A construction permit may be required if you build any structures. There may be other local permits that apply to your project.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers requires permits for any work affecting the waters of the United States. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regulates water-related actions under the Clean Water Act. Permits are required for actions that may affect endangered or threatened species. There may be other federal permits that apply to your project.

Laws and regulations vary greatly from state to state. Your state may require permits for actions that could affect wetlands or other aquatic habitats, water quality, native plants, fish and wildlife, shorelines , and more.

Flooding Project Resources:

Can you spare 3 minutes to help us?

We need your help to improve the Toolkit by completing our easy, 3-minute survey. Your insight is valuable to us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


We'll email you our survey to fill out later.